Friday, August 14, 2015

Trees Trees Trees TREES!!!

Ok - I admit it. I have had enough of the trees. They are beautiful, green, large, and necessary for life as we know it, BUT the roads here often don't have much space between the edge of the pavement and the trees - so all you see are trees. The signage is also quite frustrating as there will be a notice that something is say 2km away, but nothing when you go 2km and then you past it. With limited turnouts and no shoulders you can't turn around. Maybe there is no traffic, but my motorhome is longer than the width of the road.
Here's a shot from Haines of the small harbor that I like:
The rain clouds lifted a bit.
A shot of a reconstruction of a old bar in Skagway - silly dolls - but the bar is terrific

Old Chevy truck
Then of course I did spot a waterfall on the way out of town

I left Skagway on Monday and traveled back into Canada for the last time on this trip. The weather was rainy and foggy and it was difficult to get much of a view when you could only see 100 meters.
A the top of the summit and almost to the Canadian Border crossing, it cleared a bit and I could see this unique landscape.
Fog and rain
I made for Whitehorse to get some food supplies and then on down the Alaska Highway to Jake's Junction to head south on the Cassiar Highway to see what?- More trees.
One of the better Canadian highways - Just kidding!! But unpaved is not infrequent. Not the tree edge!
Three Sisters and trees
Bridge leading to Hazelton
Anglican Church in Hazelton build in 1900. Painting time.
A very old Totem detail
Totem aren't religious as most descendants of European stock would believe, but they record the family histories or in some cases the exploits of one famous leader. They are carved from cedar and some I saw were 40-50 foot high. I am happy that some of the paint became more clear in these HDR shots.
Very tall.
Who knows the name of these little beauties??









No comments:

Post a Comment