Monday, August 24, 2015

Ellensberg Washington

Here's is a little farm community in Washington that I thought was really cool. It has a college extension, artist studios and several tattoo parlors (which is a definite sign of progress today). They are very proud of their town and work hard to maintain and protect their turn of the Century (1900's that is) buildings and facades.
It looks like a ghost painting, but is on closer inspection, an old painting on wood. Still cool though!
It approaches a very good set for film.
Part of the reason I stopped here was the writeup on "Dick & Jane's House. It is such a fun place that it set the tone for the whole town - for me anyway.
This is a private home of an artist who has installed pieces and invited others to contribute.

It is such a fun place!!
I wanted to include this info sheet that is provided to the public. Please visit their website www.reflectorart.com
Ellensberg has a wonderful museum of the area. I have been to a few on this trip and thought it would be just another small town collection of stuff. NO! The entrance opens up into room after room of displays and collections of residents donations and historic displays. When I discovered their curator - yes they have a curator - had been at the Smithsonian I understood why it is a cut above. 
I don't wish to inflict outsiders on the picturesque town, but with my following I am sure there is little chance of a stampede, but if you ever find yourself in the Yakima WA area, travel north a bit and see this little gem.








No comments:

Post a Comment