Friday, August 7, 2015

Haines, AK

Thank you all (+600 views in the last couple of days, wow!!) Someone has been sharing, so thanks again.
I made it through the 'road construction zones' of the Alaska Hwy going south from the border to Haines Jct. in one piece and I think to motorhome is still holding together. The frost heaves destroy the roads and the summer is when they can get some work done. Mostly ripping up the asphalt, and leaving dirt and rock surface until next summer when they can pave it. Now you city types may not know what happens to this kind of surface with multiple vehicles traveling over it, nor for that matter you may not know the reference of 'washboard' - not the ever popular 'waterboard' though you do use the former in a bucket of water to clean your clothes. Anyway, you can't drive - sensibly!! - over this surface at more than 20MPH, but most locals and those with rental cars and motorhomes certainly go much faster. I got rock sprayed by an asshole going 65MPH at least - grinning all the way!!! I am so lucky to have not yet gotten a cracked window. (hope I haven't cursed myself!!)
Got into Haines - traveling for the most part on the best highway section yet!! - yesterday and signed up to take the ferry from here to Skagway on Saturday - What fun. I'm told there are no cruise ships in on the weekends so I could be unencumbered. yeh!
Here's a few shots from the Tok Cutoff, the Alaskan Highway and the Haines Highway to Haines.
Mt Wrangell - I think. They don't put up labels on sights.
Mt Wood - I believe. Love the colors and misty clouds
Gulkana Sunset
Pulled into Haines and like so many of these places that are in the Milepost, they seem to have everything that is in the town listed so that it seems sooo much larger than it is when you get there. "This is it, eh!"Well for a small town it is friendly and though it is a Marine Ferry terminus, it is only busy a couple of days a week. The rest of the time, quiet!!
Work goes on here all summer and most people have multiple jobs.
Needs longer arms, eh??
They proudly advertise their 'hammer' museum and I thought it unusual that Armand Hammer would have a museum up here. Silly me!!! They really mean a 'hammer' museum!
It's all a matter of perspective isn't it?
Tomorrow - Saturday - I'm off to Skagway, the beginning of the Klondike Gold Rush. I'm told there will be no cruise ships in over the weekend and I'll be able to roam at will. Great!
Later  




No comments:

Post a Comment