Sunday, August 9, 2015

Last Day in Skagway

I don't really like 'touristy' places and with the cruise ships landing here everyday, good for the locals, I just don't feel comfortable roaming around the main streets. Today, I went shopping - in the Alaska owned and operated stores (Skagway has a lot of 'jewelry' stores on the main drag that are owned by the cruise lines - mainly Holland-America - that don't benefit the locals at all. Like some shop owners I talked to say, "Why come to Alaska and buy gemstones from the Bahamas?") If the relatives are reading this, so be it - but I don't think so - I got some pretty nice things for the immediate family and then it came to my girls. They don't like my taste in jewelry and I can never buy them clothes (wrong size or worse yuckie in their opinion) so they are to say the least 'very difficult for me to buy for', but if I don't get them something when I get others gifts - I feel bad and they feel, what? cheated, upset, not loved??! But I got them this time, and if they don't like what I got - they have to return it themselves. Ha!
I will be leaving tomorrow, as I have said, and heading North to begin my journey to SoCal. Yes, North. I can't go South without going to the Alaskan Highway and then going South. I have or will have gone the whole distance on the AlCan so I will go South via the Cassiar  Highway and reach Prince George and then go into Vancouver or straight South into the lower 48.
I will have followed all the major highways in the Northwest and some not so major, before I have finished. Great fun!!
I'll be out of phone contact and will use the Info Centers in Canada to check my email, but as you know, I won't buy into Verizon's BS.

Here are a couple of shots from today, nothing great but off the beaten path.
This is a close shot of the entrance to the Alaskan Brotherhood building, now the Info Center. That is not the address, but the date it was built. I saw some old photos and that's the original. They call it a classic.
You know I like doors and windows and this is an old warehouse.
You may remember the Willys from Dawson City? Here is an older and different version.
According to my 'Dark Sky' app, there is a storm approaching - due at 8PM. Yep, that's a glacier.
As the winds start to pickup, I leave you with a challenge. Just respond in the comments if you know what this following photo is about. It is from my travels in Alaska and going back in my blog won't help much, but leave a comment if you have a guess. Leave two comments if you Know the answer.

No it is not an abstract!! It is a real thing.
Good Luck.
Thanks for all you have had a look at the blog and please use this as an opportunity to say hi.



No comments:

Post a Comment