Monday, July 13, 2015

Greetings from Muncho Lake, BC

It has been a breath taking journey North on the Alaskan Highway as I enter the Canadian Rockies. I have quiet a few shots as you can imagine, but in treating myself to the 'most expensive' RV camp on the Highway (rationalized as they offer internet service) I discovered that the WiFi - such that it is - only delivers 50kb down and 20Kb upload. I could be here for the next month in a attempt to show you one shot, so I'll have to wait until I reach Watson Lake, YT later this week. I am using the time here to clean and work on photos.
I finally saw some wildlife on the road - a young moose drinking in a puddle (it rained here) at a turn off and two separate sightings of black bear cubs - no mommas. Got photos of the first but not the bears.
Muncho Lake is a beautiful long lake nestled against the Rockies. I wanted to see the sunset last night, but by now being north of the 58th parallel it doesn't really set. Midnight it is bright enough to read and you sure don't see stars. Hard to get sleep at night!!
The roads are good with normal summer construction in places, but over all not bad. I have found the sweet spot for the MoHo at 2200RPM or about 55MPH. Speed limits are posted at 100KPH (about 60MPH) but I have yet to see anyone but me drive at the post limit. I have reached that place where I'm not in a hurry and want to see the scenery so go ahead and pass me. I also care about my rig and won't go very fast on some of these 'washboard' surfaces. It just seems that when I spot a great view, there is no pull over spot and the 'shoulder' doesn't exist. But I have found plenty, I my 'mind's camera' has seen them.
I will leave in the am, headed to Liard Hot Springs, at least for some shots, and then either stay the night or push on to Watson Lake.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment