Monday, July 20, 2015

From Dawson Over the Top of the World Highway

It was only yesterday - Sunday - that I left Dawson, Yukon Territory. First it is the Car Ferry - a small ferry to run you across the Yukon River, about ten minutes, and run free to passengers by the government. On Saturday the ferry stopped running its normal 24 hr. summer schedule because the life boat davit blew a hydraulic line, dropped the boat and it filled with water forcing the ferry to spin around and being next to the city side it pulled in - for about six hours while the six guys in orange hardhats watched the two crew people fix things. I was looking for a long line Sunday morning, but the RV convoy of 22 RVs had already passed through and I went on board as soon as I got there.
They just level out the bank of the river and drop the ramp. No dock per say. River always is changing.
Once on the other side, you begin the Top of the World Highway. The road from Dawson to the US Border.
Here's the last look back at Dawson.
It's 66 miles to the border and Milepost says to allow 1 1/2 hours to drive the distance depending on road conditions. There are only a couple of small stretches that have 'pavement' and the rest is graded dirt. I know there are people who make the run in maybe 90 minutes but their vehicles are trashed I am sure. Do they have extra super duty suspension or just nuts. The road is pot holes, washboard rough. I took 4 hours and of course I stopped for a few shots, but I seldom drove over 20 MPH. 
It's a panorama try scrolling across.
Of course there is a sign at the top
Above the tree line. See the two white RVs on the road?
Pan right and see the Border Crossing
Once you have survived the road to the border, it's 40 miles to the first Alaskan town. 13 miles of which are paved. Once over this road, oh did I mention it was raining steadily? You arrive in:
Chicken, AK
They wanted to call it something else but didn't know how to spell it so they settled on Chicken.
I stopped for lunch of Chicken Pot Pie and Chicken Noodle soup. What else? It was still raining a bit.
Another 60 miles or so and I was back on the Alaskan Highway and at Tok, Ak.
I was able to turn my phone back on and reach out to the world.







No comments:

Post a Comment