Monday, July 18, 2016

Oh Canada

As I said, I decided to cross into Canada after getting back from the nature viewing boat trip out of Rainy Lake Visitors Center. Now if you look at a map of Minnesota you'll see that once you get to International Falls you have to go south quite a ways to go East and then back up north to get to Grand Portage MN, where I wanted to be. I do hate to back track as well. But if you look at that same map, you'll see that you can go across the border and take a straight shot to Thunder Bay and back into the States. Great!! That's what I will do.
First, as I cross into Canada through the Boise Factory (they used to have plants on both sides of the border), it is like going through the loading docks at a factory. Say hi to the Customs agent with Passport, Insurance and registration in hand and guess what? I win the random vehicle search award for the day. Wondered why he asked me about work permits from my past!? I park along the side and four agents come out and go over the rig from top to bottom. I am talking to the sergeant as the others nose around and of course they don't find anything, but we have a very pleasant conversation and when they are finished he says, "Well they need to train on searches, don't they?" I thanked him and then went on my way. Travel Info had just closed and the rain was threatening again.
This was nice to see after Customs
Now for those of you who haven't driven in Canada, or even any northern states for that matter, after a hard winter, let me explain a little about the roads. They are SHIT. Forst heaves destroy the roads to a point that after a very few uses by logging trucks and big rigs a wash board is smoother. Potholes are lost in these road holes. So I am driving along with the pot and pans and dishes clanking away, the day is growing darker and oh yes, I forgot to mention I didn't fill up before I crossed over, so I am playing gas roulette. One small feature of the aforementioned map I didn't pick up on was that the majority of land I was to pass through on this 'short cut' was tribal lands. So? They don't have campgrounds! I made it to Atikokan (go ahead look it up!) where there was a small city campground. Have I had a chance to mention to you yet the mosquitoes? The Canadian mosquito is about ten times the size of its American cousin and just as numerous. I was told that the locals call them and Canadian Airlines, as they will pick you up and carry you away. I swear that I brought back a few in the coach. I made camp for the night, but didn't even walk around the area even after bathing in 'eau de OFF'.
Early exit in the am and a continuation of gas roulette.

No comments:

Post a Comment