Monday, July 11, 2016

Heading North, some more

Today, yes! not a catch up of the week, I went back down memory lane. I remember that when I was maybe 8 or 9, one of our summer vacations was to see the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi River. Well, here I am, and after a explosive thunderstorm last night and projected highs of low 70s with a possibility of tornadoes, I headed to Itasca State Park and Itasca Lake. The Ojibwe called it Elk Lake as to them it was shaped like the head of an elk. How they could tell from the surface, I don't know, as the aerial view clearly shows it could resemble the head of an elk.
I very much remember walking across the Mississippi

Lil too old to walk across today
As it was threatening to rain, I headed back to town to visit Paul and Babe. This I also remember but I know things were changed over the years - after 50+ we all change - as I remember that the lake was right behind the statues. I was told that actually the statues have not moved, they just filled in the water to make a bigger park. Memory still good.

 Saddly no tornado but I did arrive at the Voyageurs NP and will hope for better weather as I take a boat ride to Kettle Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment