Monday, July 4, 2016

Hill City, SD

Yesterday was to be a day of relaxing, no driving, so I decided to walk into Hill City from the campgrounds along the Mickelson Trail. It is part of the converted 'Track to Trail' program that took the old Burlington Northern train line from Deadwood to Edgemont, SD - about 108 miles. When I bought my day pass ($4) I was told it's 2 miles by road and 3 miles by trail. That didn't make much sense to me as track was usually straighter, but I figured I could do 6 miles, so off I went.
Crooked Creek - Outside my door

Doe along the trail


Mickelson Trail heading to Hill City
Hill City - Had lunch on the roof

Storm Clouds approaching

Every town has an old train right?

Love small town humor
I was to say the least a little tired when I returned last night, but I still hoped for stars shots. About 10pm it started to rain, no I mean pour. A real gully swamper. Rolled over and went back to sleep.
Today it's off to see Crazy Horse and Custer Park and then fireworks in Custer, SD. They are to have a small fair, so who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment