Monday, September 1, 2014

Holiday Post - For Americans anyway!

Here is my quote for today: "I would rather be the first to laugh at myself then have to wait for everyone else to finish." - me, today
Yesterday - Sunday - I got my Carnet Metro (Packet of 10 metro cards about the size of a raffle ticket), ventured forth into the yet untried Metro and with a transfer at the Opera station made it to Gare de Lyon and on to Fountainebleau. It is an easy thirty minute ride on the train and so much less crowded than Versailles (which I will do next Sunday when it is open for free- me and everyone else). Fountainebleau was built by Francois I 1527) and much loved by Napoleon. This is where he said goodbye to his troops on the way to Elbe. Much of the place is being renovated and closed, but what was there is worth the look, even if it is to just get out of the city and motorcycle noise. But after seeing the splendor of Petergof in Russia, this is not even in the running. The place is drab and dull. Hopefully Versailles is better.
Returned to Paris (sounds funny, doesn't it?) I made it for a late dinner at L'Escargot Montorgueil. Had chicken - not! Got a dozen of those little critters with truffles and soaked 'em up.
Who could resist going to this restaurant??

Here's the stairs where Napoleon say his farewells.
Time to head out for the day. Off to Chartres as the museum schedules are bad for the first of the week, but that also means it's Museum week pour moi.
Bon Chance mes amis.


No comments:

Post a Comment