Saturday, September 6, 2014

Versailles

Yesterday - Friday - I took the very short journey to Versailles. And then walked all day - about 10-12 miles with the walk from the train station, thru the Chateau, thru the Gardens, then over the the Grand and the Petit Trianon and of course to Marie's Farm Village and then the walk back to the train station and a mere few blocks from the Metro stop to the Apartment. I'm tried again just thinking of it. So I slept in and will go over to some nights to see that side of Paris.
Versailles is Enormous! I think that between here and Petersgof in Russia it maybe a tie. Peter used a lot of Gold on the inside and the outside. Louis XIV used less and little outside - save the gate and accents but much better sculpted ceilings. Both suffered through Revolutions that destroyed or diminished the splendor of both. I see the French working on the repair of Versailles, but the Russians are really putting in time and money on Petersgof. Both are amazing to say the least. That some rulers would spend so much of their GDP  on their little pet luxuries is - wait a minute - I think I would rather we spent more money on that sort of artistic creations then on arms. I know their attitude was wrong, but the collective artistic achievements were staggering. Now, our government at least cuts spending on everything artistic. (Sorry, Getting off the horse.)
The gardens are very - everything! Beautifully arranged and though the fountains were off, and the largest is under repair for another year, it is easy to see the splendor. But it must be the farmer's roots in me, but I thought the farm village that Marie had built was marvelous for the historic value at least. I had always thought she built a barn and a little house to remember her homeland. But it is several houses - a village - and still a working farm. Everything raised and grown there was for the Royal table and today you can buy the produce in town marche.
As usual, I am downloading the images from yesterday now as I write this and will see if there is anything I can quickly put together for this blog. It is taking a long time today as I shot 1100 pix.
Panorama of Entrance
Need to use this more often.
Overcast works well sometimes
Working on the rest and will drop a blog tomorrow.
Adieu


No comments:

Post a Comment