Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Oops! It's Wednesday Already

I got out of Torino with all my gear (my backpack almost got boosted in train station - No harm on foul, though much more leery now in public.)
Went to Varenna on Sunday to the heart of the Italian Lake District. I now see why those who have money want to find a lakeside villa and wile away their moments with quiet tranquility. It is such a fabulous place and is at the top of my list - so far - for a return visit. The time for my being here has been with low tourist traffic and good weather, though a little hazy but that's just me. Varenna is at the center of the Mid-lake area of Lake Como with the ferries running many hours between Varenna-Bellagio-Tremezzo-Menagio. All the places you want to see. It takes no more than a few minutes to go between any of these villages and less than an hour to make the circuit. Varenna being the less 'glitzy' of the bunch and fewer upscale shops. Wander around, find a nice shady bench and watch the lake rise and fall - OR - find a table near the water, order a limoncello, sip, watch, sip, watch - you get the idea. New favorite pastime. Food is good - it's Italy - come on! I'm very happy with the decision to come here.
Varenna

Menagio Harbor

Peaceful Garden at Villa Melzi - Bellagio

Sunset From Varenna

Varenna Night where the Ferry Lands
I am now in Milano, using a WiFi in the room and will go out and explore before Dinner. I hear there is a dynamite gelato shop not far from the hotel - other new best thing to do in Italy!!
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment