Saturday, September 13, 2014

Cliff Notes - France to Itlaia

The last three days have been just like the rest - Fabulous!!! Is it great to say that??
I left Paris on the TGV to Lyon on Thursday. Why stop in Lyon?
For the Lumiere Musee, I wish I had more fore knowledge about them and their work in Film history, but Edison and Eastmen crowd them out in the States. The Museum is in their old house - beautiful, and innovative in its day as well. The factory for their plates was right out their front door, but is all gone now.
For the Roman ruins on the hill in the old part of the city. There is a large and small amphitheater there, a good early history museum that was closed just as I arrived. Well I choose the Lumiere over them just in case. The amphitheater is used for concerts and plays today, it is still good.
Walked the old town and had dinner at Les Lyonaisse, where I tried the Salade Lyonaisse - made with greens, onions, tomatoes, croutons, Cooked 'bacon' the size of the croutons and topped off with a poached egg. Wonderful. I have never tried a Quenelle. I thought I was eating a cloud, it was so fluffy and smooth. It is a combination of pike - very well pureed (NO, NO, NO - don't think of the "Bass-o-matic"!!), poached and I think baked to finish in a Lobster sauce that I threatened the waiter with bodily harm if he attempted to remove the casserole plate before I had soaked up every drop of the sauce with my bread. I don't know I will ever again taste such mouth watering goodness again!!
Friday - Let for Turin and not knowing I had to reserve a seat on the TGV (thought it was just a regular train) the folks at the train sent me on to Chembery near the France/Italian border. The +, it is a beautiful little town nestled along a lake near the mountains. Worth a visit if you can. The -, not knowing if I'd get to Turin. Long story short, the conductor got me on, he had a little eight seat room in a car just for people like me I think. Met a young lady from Austrailian traveling as I am. Checked in to my room - great. (Side bar - The Italian government changed the 'star ratings' rules in the last couple of years and some formerly 4 star places are now 3 stars hotel. I think it has to do with the number of rooms and such, for the quality of this place "Hotel Valentino du Parc" is exceptional. Three stars will be just fine for me.)
Spent the day roaming around Turin and and now I am back, downloading and getting ready for a massage. I hear I am on vacation and I am allowed to do these sort of things. I shot a lot of captures today and I'll try to include some, but no guarantee.
This is the Bridge Passerelle du Palais de Justice over the Soame River in Lyon, with the Cathedral Fourviere on the hill.
Just two guys hanging around by the river all in white paint. You'd think they'd get cold.
Still downloading today and time for my massage.
Off to Lake Come tomorrow and staying in Vareena.
Chio


No comments:

Post a Comment