Friday, August 29, 2014

Today - Marais From Place Bastille to the Pompidou Center

I am not sure, but I think I'm getting the hang of this Paris Holiday. When I first so cavalierly booked 17 Days in Paris - that's right seventeen - I thought it a little crazy, but that's just me. I arrived on Monday after three cities in three days and a cruise of two months with ten cities. I hit the place running. Well I got pretty exhausted. Just as I wondered about how people could take these cruises for a week to ten days and go to ten to twelve ports in that time while I was on my voyage at a wonderful stress free pace. We would see a big cruise ship pull into dock in the morning and be gone before dinner. What could those people possibly see in 8 hours.
Well, it has finally dawned on me that I don't need to see ever sight in the first four days. I'll be here for another thirteen. I have walked today paused every half hour or so to sit on a bench, watch the people go by and check my Rick Steves' guide and then plot my position on maps.me map of Paris(great app if I haven't said so before. You down load the maps by country and area - free - and then you can see exactly where you are WITHOUT WiFi). I took off this morning about nine, got a croissant to munch on the way and headed for Place Bastille. Yep, it started to sprinkle a bit, but by eleven the sun started to peek through and it was a beautiful day.
I went to two museums today. The Carnavalet and the Pompidou Center. The former has an incredible display of France and Paris specifically that goes from the earliest man to the WWII. I was overwhelmed with the amount of detail and little small personal pieces they displayed. The Modern Art  at the Pompidou was extensive and had some works I had not seen before from Man Ray and Kees and a few others. The building was unique and a great space. Needs some work to the outside though.
Yes, I like reflections! Sculpture display at Pompidou
Paris has been the home of many famous writers, painters, actors, etc. and I stopped by Victor Hugo's old digs in the Place des Vosges. This woman was playing her violin with such depth and range and then I saw she had a playback for the rest of the quartet.

Today I had a stuffed pita with fresh veggies and curried chicken, for you food fans. Everywhere you turn there is a monument, pretty little park or just a seat at a street side bistro to enjoy in this city. So far, I am very happy I decided to visit.
Bon Soir and have a great weekend


No comments:

Post a Comment