Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Today was the Louvre, WOW

WOW in so far as there is so much to see; WOW because the building itself is magnificent. And WOW,  I really hate Japanese tourists!!! One even told me to move so she could take a snap NOW with her friend posed in front of Renoir. I didn't even try to get close to Mona! I asked a guard if he sees many people actually looking at the works or do they just snap and move on to the next as they mentally check an 'important work' off a list. Important to whom? Obviously not them, they are just on this large scavenger hunt through the museums and monuments of Europe to see how many they can stand in front of.
But I did pause and rejoice for a few moments as I looked over the shoulder of an art student sketching a detail of a Delacroix. That's the way to 'see' a work of art. He was very good as well. I try to see the brush strokes and imagine how the artist painted the piece. Some of the Flemish painters used 'single hair' brushes in some places. Just Incredible.
Of course it was maximum overload for the second day in a row. Yesterday, I said Hi to 'ol Boney and even when through part of the war museum. Then I hit the Museum d'Orsay and that was max out Impressionists. Every one that you have ever heard of was there with most of their work. Heaven help us if ever there is a massive destruction in Paris. We would loose most of the world treasure of art.
Here's some shots from Yesterday:
In front of the Hotel Invalides
These are some of the cannon the French captured in their earlier wars. They of course can't display many cannon made for Napoleon as most of them are at the Kremlin in their "Trophy" rows and rows and rows.
Big Tomb for such a short man
I'm still downloading files from today, shot a few today, but nowhere close to what I have been shooting on the voyage. Tomorrow, I 'check a few' museums off my list and then Versailles on Friday. The weekend would be crazy and maybe a few people will wait for 'free Sunday'.

This is as close as I Got!!
One tour group after another. 
This is the Sculpture Garden
I will be working on some of the photos of the Louvre itself. The Grand Gallery and some of the Solons are magnificent. I would like to find a history of the Louvre itself and the kings and emperors who have put there mark on her. There are some books out, but they start to go into the art itself. I would like just the history. There is a two section exhibit of the 'history' and that is a great starting place.
Adieu 






No comments:

Post a Comment