Sunday, October 6, 2013

Portland, ME


Got into Portland about 8pm and checked into my room at the Marriott.. Great room (suite more like as it has a kitchen of sorts and a sitting area). Got the word that the best place for lobster was J's Oyster. It's not a tourist place, the locals go there. Walked down to the harbor area to J's and saw a large group of tourists coming off a cruise boat heading in the direction of J's and of course I got worried and didn't want to get there after them. I start walking faster and they head down the street I going to as well, trouble?!, I get around them and find J's and I pause:
Here I go again, following the recommendation of someone I met on a train, but they said it was great and a local place. Okay, I go in. PACKED to the walls, People waiting to get tables all ten of them maybe. Seats at the bar and I jump into one between a young couple and an older one. Neither one knew I was there. The young ones were into each other and the older ones were just ready to get out. Oh, well. The food was great. The lobster comes with streamers and coleslaw if you can figure. 1-11/2 of good lobster and you're full. Really good.
I have decided that I will be exploring the clam chowder as well as the lobster while I'm here. The chowder is all cream style but it is so different.. Try one in Boston - it got too hot and the cream was separating. The one at J's was very good. Creamy and lots of clams. Had one for lunch today and it was thin, not creamy, but lots of clams but needed some flavor.
Walked around alot today and saw the harbor area, walked up High Street and down Congress and saw some of the older buildings in town. Most all the town burned to the ground in the 1800's so most all are brick now. There is a good Art SChool here I guess, as I also saw many storefront galleries near there. Good to see that encouraged.
Working wharf next to an apartment development. Boy they love their lobster!

These lobstermen painted their shacks the same colors as their floats for the lobster pots. Orange and white; white and orange; white and green, etc. Makes for a very colorful row of sheds.

Won't be a sunset tonight, but I did find a couple of places that might make for a good night photo. Off to dinner - gee, what shall I have?? and then off to bed. I get my car tomorrow morning and I'm driving up the coast. Colorful leaves I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment