Monday, September 12, 2016

Day 97 - Nova Scotia

I am sitting in my MoHo and after doing a cleaning and floor mopping - the dust and dirt never stops - here Louisbourg NS and trying to catch up and get ready for Newfoundland. In the last few days I have made the journey around the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park; stayed at a most amazing and most Northwesterly part of the island called Meat Cove; gone down the Eastern coast to Baddeck to see the Alexander Bell Museum; visited the Celtic Village near Iona and on into Sydney (not Australia); stopped to see what's left of the location Marconi made his first transAtlantic wireless broadcast - not much, and of course the Miner's Museum in Glace Bay. That has brought me here to Louisbourg and the site of Fortress Louisbourg built by the French in the 18th Century. Back and forth with the American/British and then again the British. Being a non-ice port it was of great value to all during the many wars between France and England. It is they say the largest reconstruction historical site in North America. Here are a few shots leading up to the fort.
Mabou Light House along the bay


Etched glass door of lighthouse

Cheticamp from across the bay with Cormorants


Cheticamp Lighthouse

Cheticamp LH
 As I was walking for this shot I happened to catch movement out of the corner of my eye and turned just in time to see two eagles soaring on the updrafts. Fortunately I had my 70-200mm and not just my 24-70mm.
Eagle


 Then up the road to Margaree Harbor.
Decommissioned and used as channel marker
Then on into the Park. Beautiful trees, beaches and construction along the road, oh well. Stop at the bog trail in hopes of some small animals but as I began my walk a tour bus pulled in and all hopes of quiet left.
Always enjoy reflections



Since I was in hopes of animals, I only walked with my 150-600mm. a little tight


Bay St Lawrence Harbor is the Northernmost Harbor on the island and they are preparing for winter. 

This is Meat Cove and the campground. It is perched on the heights and is probably the most spectacular setting I have yet found. Just above the three building in the right frame (cabins) is where I stayed. I got parked and it began to rain - all night!

The beach just below the campground
I'll pick up from here in next post
Choa

No comments:

Post a Comment