Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Ottawa Capital of Canada

When I told a friend I was in Ottawa, she said what on earth for?? And she's a Canadian. Well the simple answer was I have never been there.
I parked the old MoHo in the suburbs and took the bus system into and of course back again. I usually love rapid transit by buses - not so much. Ottawa is still trying to get their light rain/ subway into the works but too many toes to step on I guess. I was walking once in town center so as I often do I got a ticket for the Hop on Hop off sightseeing bus. I have found that these will take you to the most interesting places (no walking) and then you can get off - stroll around and get back on.
Highlights of this day was the changing of the Guard at the Parliament Building, lunch in Byward Market and Rideau Hall, the house of the Queen's governor. Canada is after all a Constitutional Monarchy.  Then back to D'Arcy McGee's Irish Pub for that best Steak and mushroom pasty I have ever had. Then the lightshow/propaganda display on the Parliament House at night. I was on the go from 8am to 11pm and of course the next day was a bit of a rest day.
Marching In - yes it's blurred




Watching them leave
Then off to Rideau Hall

Reception Room

This was the band area off the ballroom - when they had balls (dances you idiots!)
Since I had been going a while and getting hungry I got off at Byward Market, a very old part of town and very touristy, but..
The oldest bat with original patrons
The Shaw Center with its round mirrored surface
This is the Agricultural Museum. Modeled after the Crystal Palace from London

View of Parliament from across river at Museum of History


Wanted to get closer but the Parliament House will be under remodeling for the next 12+ years!!

Couldn't pass this up

From Parade - too funny for words
Sunset in windows

Light show

No comments:

Post a Comment