Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Keweenaw Peninsula

The more I travel the more places I see and the more new experiences I am able to have with new people and places. That's why I do this, right?! I decided to go further North and visit the Keweenaw Peninsula, which is the most Northern part of the Upper Michigan Peninsula. The Majority and Southern-Eastern part is primarily known for its iron ore mines and this Upper-upper part is known for Copper. The Upper Michigan is mineral central to the US, though the prices dropped so far after WWII that many mines closed and people left.
My first night up North I stayed in Baraga at a State Park - lovely, and as I had purchased a Yearly pass I needed to use it. Thursday seemed to be a good day to do my laundry and there's where the 'see new things' comes in. I was the only one using the laundromat early that day and so I did some reading in the MoHo, parked right outside. I go into get my dryed clothes and discovered they have been stolen - just disappeared. Who took them I don't know - heard no cars arrive and saw no one leave. Pissed? Yes! What you going to do. Got the people to look at the security tapes, but as they only focused on the office door at the rear and the money change machine in a corner - there was nothing. I have since decided that if someone needed clothes that badly, then I will consider this a charity contribution (Valued at $160, based on Target purchase). Moving on.
My destination - Copper Harbor and Fort Wilkins at the end of the peninsula.
Fort Wilkins - restored

Copper Harbor Light House with Tour boat

What kind of Dragonfly is this??

This is one way to look at my journeys!
Stayed the night and then headed back South.

No comments:

Post a Comment