Monday, June 6, 2016

Last Day before Expedition

Tomorrow maybe the California primary (I have mailed mine in! - VOTE!!), but I will be heading out for my long awaited USA exploration expedition. I prefer to call it an expedition as I will be exploring more than traveling from place to place and going as fast as possible between points.
This year I have given myself the mandate (or permission) of moving slower, staying longer and really 'seeing' what there is out there. The photos are of course a high priority, but I want to wait more for a better lighting condition and observe the flora and fauna in more detail and longer than last year's Alaska trip (Never did see elk or moose on the trip). That was what - about 5 months, 16000 miles and almost 2T of photo files.
I will check my stores today - last run to Trader Joe's, Costco was yesterday and spend my last night with kids and family.
I'll be going to Rocklin, CA to have the Mercedes dealer there give the coach an oil change and final check and then next door to the Camping World for the same treatment for the onboard generator. Then it's out of this 100+ heat and into the desert of Nevada (that must be cooler, right!!) before turning North in Wells, NV. I am hoping that will be the extent of my Interstate highway travel for most of this trip. I have wanted to travel on the less known US highways that go across this country and be able to go slower (about 55 to 60MPH is the best fuel economy for this coach of mine) and not worry about getting tailgated by a semi.
I found a book published by Moon called "Road Trip USA - Cross-country adventures on America's two-lane highways" by Jamie Jensen. Perfect! It seems well organized and though a bit economic in all the places covered along the roads (which is understandable to allow for a book one could lift) it gives a good overview and some interesting 'off the beaten path' highlights I'll be anxious to see. My next reference 'book' is Stone Road Press' "Your Guide to the National Parks" by Michael Joseph Oswald. It is a beautiful book with all 58 National Parks and though it is geared for the hiker it does and more in depth coverage of the sights in each park than just the Park Service guides. This covers my 'raison d'etre' for this journey, but of course I'll get all the info available at each Park and Landmark I visit.
My apps on my Apple include: "Field Trip" and "History Here" for places to see along the way. "Allstays Camp & RV Guide" along with "Passport America" for campsites along the way, though there will be a few Walmart stops as well. Some extra info on "REI National Parks" as well and of course "Gas Buddy" to find fuel deals. And of course, "Dark Sky" for weather. If you have others, give a shout out.
Hope you all have a wonderful summer doing what helps you de-stress and relax and energize.
Looking for new places to go this summer.



No comments:

Post a Comment