Tuesday, August 26, 2014

WiFi creates a Habit

Here I am returned from my day's outing, and while I download the photos from today, I can blog and put up yesterday's - or in this case - photos I like on the first pass.
Remember it was misty last night _
The Eiffel seen past the Arc du Carrousel

Can you guess where?
Today's journey - and it was as I look back, and might think I dumb to have done it but 'Silly Rabbit' here did. I am staying in the 2nd Arr. just to the North of the Seine and the Tuileries. I walked past the Forum du Halle, which was the old central market but is now being totally rebuilt as a city 'hub' of shops and artist/small business addresses. I reached the North bank of the Seine (Rive Droite) and crossed to Notre Dame. It being mid-day the lines were further than you could see. Walked to the back side of the Cathedral, crossed to the small Ile St Louis, as it began to rain again. Hungry? Why not. Rick Steves' recommended the Med restorante and I had a fabulous cream of vegetable soup and a crepe, also good. 
Here's my first aside:
I have told myself not to get trinkets for the kids, a) their old enough to not need them, b) I can't choose right for them anyway!! Now I didn't get them anything yet, but my grand daughter is fair game right? Now we have a Auntie Em (my sister-in-law) who always finds the neatest gifts for everyone at christmas and b'days but I believe I found a shop that out Auntie Em's Auntie Em. It is called Pylones (www.pylones.com) and I won't tell you what I bought Dahlia (on the off chance my kids might read this, but you go there and check out there crazy, colorful goodies. It made my day.
So, after a light lunch and a great shop find I moved on to the Rive Gouache and headed for the Shakespeare and friends bookstore. It has been here since the end of the war and many a young struggling writer has found a room above while they wrote. Then it was on to St Sulpice (Had to go inside ONE church today) and on to peek inside of the Sorbonne courtyard. Couldn't walk around but the guard let me take a few shots just inside the arch. It started to clear up now with the sun coming thru so off to the Jarden du Luxenbourg. The three musketeers weren't there dueling Richelieu's guards but the kids were out launching their little sailboat on the waters of the grand fountain. The sun peeks out and everyone runs to soak up some sun. Apparently it has been a wet August for France and not much sun for the Holidays.
I looked at my map and said - well the Eiffel doesn't seem to be that far away (hehe) so westward ho. I did make it there by some miracle and I found the rest of the tourist. Lines were creatively wound under the tower for each tower, with security checking everyone and the first armed soldiers I had thus far seen. The dogs were getting a little hot by now and though a Citron Glacie hit the spot - several of them - I started the march back along the Seine. I got as far as the Assemblee Nationale and grabbed a cab. You add up the miles I am still marching.
It was now about 5:30 and I didn't feel like eating out, but with no food at the place, down the street for a little shopping the French style. I went to a Fruit Stall for some berries for breakfast - Raspberries and blueberries, my favs - then to the Rotisserie for a piece of chicken, leg and thigh. When was the last time you had or saw a capon?? So large I have tomorrow lunch in the bag. But I wanted some cheese to go with the grapes I got, so to Fromagerie.  The little street was full of couples and homeward bound workers doing the same thing I was, and every salesperson helped me through the 'menu' even though they didn't speak much English. The food fresh, flavorful and beautiful. It is amazing what we Americans have allowed the Grocers and Agribusiness to do to our food stuffs. Anyway, I sold.
Downloads complete and I will go through them on my way to bed.
Bon Nuit, mes ami.

No comments:

Post a Comment