Sunday, August 24, 2014

Rouen and let's talk food

I have not mentioned food on this expedition so far as a) I didn't think you need to hear about the food on the voyage - think college dorm food, or I said "If you don't have pasta or potatoes at the meal, it must be ashore." b) I promised my self that I wouldn't be one of those people photographing their food, and I have usually been hungry and just wanted to eat.
Well, I am now in France and great food is everywhere. Here the 'entree' is like our appetizers, the 'plat' is the main course and often all you need; and of course 'desert'. Yes, that's desert. Now you can order any meal with one, two or three (and in some cases a fourth - cheese before desert) for you meal. Yesterday, while in Bayeux, it was raining off and on so I decided to wait to go looking and have myself a lunch at a Rick Steves' recommended restaurant. Ok, I went a little overboard and got 'soup to nuts' and they say. Here, however, soup is seldom on the menu and nuts might be on the salad on the cheese plate. I order a 'complet' lunch - entree, plat, cheese and desert. Wow! The pate was of rabbit and came with salt & pepper, pickles, and a sourish compost. I asked the waitress to suggest a wine for the pate and it was a sweet sauterne. Alone, very sweet - with the pate - perfection. The 'plat' was a breast of duck done to perfection and I could have chosen several cheeses from the region, but only picked three and they were unique and tasty. Now, desert - a small apple 'pie' with vanilla ice cream. Think pilo around a three inch blend of apples and caramel with a demi-scoop of fresh ice cream. I waddled out of there. Oh, the restaurant's name - 'Le Pommier'. (Believe me I don't and won't do this everyday.)
Today, I have decided to rest in and then just see the sights of Rouen at an easy pace. It being Sunday there has been little to no traffic and just families out and about. My walk brought me to the outdoor market and everyone in town was there to buy their Sunday dinner. You name it - Cheeses, meat both cooked and butchered ready to cook, seafood, pastries and of course clothes and furniture. Everything you could need. I got a baguette, some pate, fresh strawberries and a tarte with raspberries. A small and filling picnic by a fountain in a nearby park. Perfect!
The Cathedral is magnificent, especially considering that it was almost totally destroyed in the war form US bombing. Rouen being then and now a major shipping port for this area - up the Seine. Joan d'Arc was burned here so there is plenty of monuments and churches about the town.
Let's try for a couple of photos today.
Mont St Michal at sunset.

And here is the view from my room at the Hotel Norte Dame here in Rouen. Sometimes in life you have to look past the weeds to find a beautiful view.


Enjoy and tomorrow I head for Paris for 17 days of the City of Lights. Hope I survive the pickpockets at the station.
Later

No comments:

Post a Comment