Sunday, October 12, 2014

Sorrento

I got here yesterday from Orvieto thru Napoli. No Photos of Naples as I didn't want to wear my camera around my neck traipsing thru town to the ferry terminal. I decided on the ferry after hearing all the pickpocket/robbery stories that take place in and around the terminal. I know that train stations and tracks are not welcome areas in all cities and tend to be the last places to get upgrades and reconstruction. It appears to me that Naples has extended that area to include the whole of the city. It's dirty. It needs repair, and there are a lot of people out of work.
I again am staying in a hotel without wifi - you get what you pay for - though the room is good (four towels on my scoring method) so I am using my iPad to provide a hotspot for my mac. It's all about sharing.
Sorrento is a city on a bluff that is one of the oldest in Italy. Far older than Rome as it was started by Etruscans and then Greeks very early on. I am learning that they a renown for their wood inlay art and of course limoncello. Had some last night at the little cafe where I ate. I mentioned it to the waiter/owner and he says "I make my own." I don't use yellow lemons, I only use green lemons and I have them marinate for six months. He gave me some as I was leaving, and now I am spoiled. It was so smooth, no bitter aftertaste and went down very easy. I forgot to mention he uses 95 proof PGA.
As I stepped off the ferry last night, I noticed the sun beginning to set over the bay and quickly grabbed my camera. Have I mentioned how much I love sunsets?
Tomorrow more exploring.


Ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment