Friday, October 10, 2014

It's Friday Already!?

I have been in the small town of Orvieto for the last two days and have enjoyed the locale greatly. The food has been wonderful. Case in point. Does Truffle have a season? If so, this is it. When you can go to the little pizza place/ pub and get a bacon and truffle pizza for 6 - yes six - euro, then I would think that they are plentiful and cheap. I have been eating the black little beauties as often as I can and I am finally able to really distinguish its taste - and I enjoy it. Truffle on pasta. Truffle on toast. Truffle on veal. How can I have it today?
Yesterday was the village market day and lots of produce and lots of used clothes as well. Morning fog gave it a bit of a weird feel.
Yep, That's a whole roasted pig
Then it was off to Civita by bus. Now the buses in Italy are also the local transport for everyone and when school is in session, the local school bus. Kids ride free on all transport from buses to trains. The short 16 K ride took almost an hour as we stopped at many little villages along the way to drop off kids (after making a detour to the school in Orvieto). It is about a mile from where the bus drops you off to reach the Civita and many of my shots I took were for no reason other than to stop and catch my breath on the climb. The Civita is on a pinnacle that once had a natural causeway joining it to the larger area. Now that bridge is gone and there has been a concrete one built in its place. My big take away from Civita - If you like cats or are a vet who does spading and neutering, then this is you town. They are everywhere!

I'm having some trouble uploading photos now so I'll try for one last one, as it is time to get out and eat some more truffle. Tomorrow it is off to the South and Sorrento.
Sunset over Orvieto - Oh, this is a 6 image HDR, not my usual three.
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment