Thursday, October 2, 2014

Question: Why are the Japanese so narcissistic?

Yep, I'm back in the tourist mainstream and I'm sorry that I may be perseverating about this, but I've only seen a handful of Japanese who have taken shots without another Japanese posing for the camera. I evan saw a girl the other day walking with her iPhone in front of her and assuming she was taking a video of the neighborhood. When I past her I took a look and the lens was pointing at her not the neighborhood, very close and no background at all. Any ideas?
Well, it seems that the whole of Italy is in repair and restoration mode, and I get to witness it all. The Baptistry is totally covered, though open, the Duomo has cranes and scaffolding and the Duomo Museum is closed until next Fall.
I got in yesterday afternoon and did my laundry. Great ruin restoration there let me tell you!
Got down to the Arno for sunset, but since it rained, there was only a partial chance for a good sunset and it wasn't. Good evening views of the Ponte Vecchio. Good dinner and a good night's sleep and off today to get the lay of the land. I walked the streets of the old city, dodging tourists and tour groups and trying to see past the construction. Hey, It Is Florence!!!
Walked to the Palazzo Vecchio and stood on the spot where there burned the priest who was tiring to burn the books and bring the people back to the old dark ages values. (Bonfire of the Vanities). Then on to the Uffizi Gallery next door and found Leonadro's statue covered in wire cages.
Found an 8 Euro lunch, with two courses and walked to the Piazzale Michelangelo and was rewarded with a breath taking view of the city. (Along the way I even saw some real life drama. The cops had cordoned of a section of trees by the river in the woods along the South side and when the crime scene folks showed up, I figured there was a body in there somewhere, though there were so many people walking around in there before they got there, the scene had to have been totally compromised.)
Decided to come back and download and have a little wine and get ready for tonight's sunset (fingers crossed) and tomorrow with Firenze Pass in hand, I take on the Museums.
I have decided to start playing the Lotto again when I return, just so if I win I can return to Italy and actually buy something in one of the clothes stores. You got to dream!!
Have I said how much I enjoy the food here? and the Wine? Though I must admit that I am doing as the ancient Romans did and I am now watering my wine, just a little!
Ponte Vecchio


Arches leading to the Ponte Vecchio

Firenze
Anyone know what this is - Bee or a Bird?
It flies like a Hummingbird, but the locals think of it as a bee.
Time to go see about tonights sunset.
Ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment