Friday, June 19, 2015

We're Off

My nephew Mark's son (my grand nephew?) flew down to LAX with his Momma Bear Carol on Tuesday to join me on this first leg of the journey North. Bright and early Wednesday morning we were off,


















traveling through the Palmdale area to Mojave. I use this as a break point, as I had to find a tire repair business as my inside rear tires were FLAT. Added air and drove onto Red Rock Canyon for a little exercise

 and then on to Lone Pine to stay at the BLM land on Movie Road.
The stars were out Wednesday night and for the first time in many years for me and Ethan we were able to see the Milky Way. Awesome--
I was so awed that I watched more than I pressed the shutter.
Next morning the tires were low again and needed to stop in Lone Pine for aid. Before I had left I installed a set of valve extensions and apparently they don't stay firmly attached and as you drive they move and release air from the tire. We removed them and threw them in the trash ($35.00 for them and $75 for checking out the tires for punctures. $100 lesson.)
Drove on to June Lake, took the lake drive and saw Grant Lake at the lowest seen in years. Not quite as bad as the level at Mono Lake. Thank you LA Water. They have changed the restrictions for the Tufa area, so that you can stay all night - just don't look like you're camping. We stayed for the sunset - beautiful

Tried to get up at 1:30 AM for more Star shots but the cloud cover had closed in and not much to see.
That's cloud cover
Friday morning and we moved into Bodie - the deserted town just North of Mono Lake and did a bit of strolling around.
IR shot of old house and sled.
Now we have camped for the night in Bridgeport. Cleaned the MoHo, made some tea, Charged the batteries for the cameras and got into this blog for all you wondering if I left or not. I think the travel for a couple of days and then regroup will be the MO I use for the trip, so don't expect a daily blog, but do come back and check it out.
Tomorrow we leave for Reno - some night street shots and then I lose my co-pilot when I drop Ethan off at Northstar in Tahoe.
Check back

No comments:

Post a Comment