Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Star Shots with a Sony a7

First this is my experience shooting with the Sony a7 at night. Here is my equipment rundown:
Sony a7
Sony SEL1018 f4 lens
Tripod  and cable release
To make these photos, I shot at f4, 30 sec and at 3200 ISO

Let me say that I love my a7, but for star shots - it sucks! (In my option and would love anyone to tell me how to improve the shooting experience and results!!)
Auto focus is a non-starter in this work and that leaves manual focus. The focus is of course digital and the focus adjustment is shown on the screen as a slider with and distance indicator below the slide to help IF you know the distance. During the daylight this has NOT been a problem, but at night there is NO IMAGE to focus on and therefore it is guess work. With the 10-18mm lens (which is designed for the APS-C format) I limited to approximately 13mm-16mm without vignetting. At the present time this is my widest lens. On this lens the manual focus scale goes from minimum focus the infinity, however the infinity mark is reached at about 5/8 of the way in the scale leaving about 3/8 of the scale IN INFINITY. This is different with each of my Sony lenses BUT they all use this manual focusing method and the spread for the infinity differs but they have a 'spread' for infinity NOT a spot. Therefore - shooting in the dark with a HUGE range for infinity, and not being able to see the sharpness on the reviewed images in camera, makes shooting a real "shot in the dark".
Also with this lens it becomes very apparent looking at the images that it loses sharpness rapidly as you move from the center to the edges of the frame - not good.
First conclusion - need a different wide angle lens.
Not being able to see my images clearly last night I will go out tonight and try my 24-70 lens and check its results.
Here we go:
This is early in the evening, included the patio railing, Tungsten color balance



 This was a fun shot early in the evening using the lights from inside the house for the foreground. A little wind is also obvious in the pine on the left of frame. This is the only shot that got some color in the Milky Way, and though the focus is not the best, I include it as an 'idea'.

Note: all the images were processed in LR CC 2015, included Camera calibration for lens; Removed Color Aberrations; NO noise reduction; Some sharpening; and some White adjustment.

This one is taken later. Focus seems better. Same LR corrections.
This is the same image using a Trey Preset Packager 3_An Infrared Morning


Interesting result - just trying different things to experiment.
Going thru various LR and Trey presets, here's another look at the same image using Trey LR Preset Package 2 - Cross Glassin


Enjoy the images and ANY responses are appreciated - especially the ones that are 'nice' and give me input.
Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment