Monday, July 28, 2014

Last Day in Saint Petersburg Russia

True to form, here I am in the terminal cafe and using their somewhat faster wifi connection to get some work done. I am downloading an update to my iPad that will take - I'm told - another two hours, so I am working here in hopes of not using to much band width on my computer doing multi functions I need to do.
Saint Petersburg has been lovely weather, interesting sights and better food than I anticipated. I have only gone out three of our five days here in port. (What other ship could boast of that many days in a port???!!) I have had a chance to walk around the city center, see The Hermitage (Incredible), go to Peter the Great's summer palace in Petergof. Hugh grounds and fountains. I went back yesterday as the second part of a visit to Caterine's summer palace in Pushkin Village. This provided an opportunity to use my IR camera and get some interesting shots the those grounds. Such opulence is on display in all the palaces and the Russians take great pride in their past, even though I believe we have been taught to feel that the Revolution produced great distaste in the Russian for their Imperial past. Well, that time has past and they have moved on with the state providing funding for their upkeep. They like most countries have felt the recession heavily and the results of sanctions have resulted in many setbacks and we'll see what happens next. No one here on the ship has experienced anything but kindness from the people. Maybe it's just our tourist money, but no anti-American feeling I have seen.
Next we travel to Stockholm, Sweden and then only two more ports before we head back to Southampton. Time flies when you're having fun!!
Church of the Blood in St. Petersburg
Samson Fountains at Petergof in IR
Such an amazing place.
Enjoy and visit the website: www.pixstix.biz for more photos as I WILL be uploading pix even if I have to stay here 'til the boat leaves
Best


No comments:

Post a Comment